Monday, January 5, 2009

Day 13 - (Sun)Shine Cafe, Morro Bay

Looks can be deceiving at the Shine (aka Sunshine) Cafe. If you're used to the monstrous super stores of LA (i.e. Costco, Target and even some Whole Foods locations), you're going to be shocked when you walk into this small store. The Sunshine Health Food Store in the quaint town of Morro Bay is about the size of a 7-Eleven, but it's packed full of nutritious goodies. Tucked away in the back is a small cafe/take-out kitchen that won't disappoint.


415 Morro Bay Blvd

Morro Bay, CA 93442


Parking: Plenty of street parking and no one to fight with you for it


Ambience: Not exactly romantic, given its inside a market, but there are several wooden tables for you to sit while getting your munch on.


Reservations: Who needs 'em!


The Food: Fresh. Every bite is filled with the natural taste of each ingredient.


I ordered the tempeh "taco," which is really more like a giant salad sitting on top of a wee little grain tortilla. The carb lover in me really wanted to enjoy the tortilla, but that was the only disappointment of my meal. I loved the organic mixed greens, avocado and salsa, and the occassional burst of sesame seed flavor. The dressing was creamy, but vegan. How they do it? I don't know! As I may have mentioned before, I hate fake meat. Tempeh always tasted like cardboard, the crappy kind. Shine Cafe's tempeh is more like a combination of veggies like carrots, broccoli, etc. sauteed with quinoa into a cake. The flavor was great, but not stale and chewy like you'd expect tempeh to feel.


The bf got the black bean tostada, which came complete with a creamy, homemade chipotle dressing (again, vegan). The dressing had a rich mesquite aroma that gave my tempeh taco's dressing a drop-kick in the you-know-where. I still stand by my tempeh though!

No comments: