Sunday, November 30, 2008

Day 4 - Echigo, West Los Angeles

I never explained why I was pescetarian, did I? I love animals, I'm a friend of the animals. I stopped buying animal skin beginning in high school, and considered becoming vegetarian at the time. I even had my own high school club - Paws, Claws & More! Go me! Back then, I had no idea how to even cook an egg, let alone control my diet. So I cast the idea aside all through college. Then I met Chris at my previous accounting firm, and he introduced me to the idea of pescetarianism. I always thought you could be just vegetarian or vegan, but there are levels and the combinations are endless. I can deal with just eating fish, but I don't think I could do without sushi. I live for food, but really, I live for sushi.

So without further ado, I give you Echigo. Like any true traditional sushi joint, they don't have any fancy websites, or any website for that matter. It's all word of mouth, so here are the words from my mouth. The next few days will be my three favorite sushi venues.

Echigo
12217 Santa Monica Blvd., # 201
Los Angeles, CA 90025

The location: It's a plain, outdated white building. Echigo is located on the second floor, but it's easy to miss when all you see from the street is a humble "Sushi" sign.

Parking: There is an underground parking lot with ample free parking, but the descend is steep and I'm always scared I'm going to scrape the walls with my car. I prefer to just find street parking.

Ambience: Minimalist. Clean white walls and tiles, with a large window that brings in plenty of natural light.

Reservations: Not required, especially since this is a little known neighborhood gem.

The Food: Echigo is great for their lunch special. It's available Monday-Friday (they open at noon, FYI). For $12, you get 6 pieces of fresh nigiri sushi. The salmon is amazing, and the set is sealed with an amazing blue crab hand roll that's superior to Sasabune's. It's the highlight of a work day. It's the best bang for your buck in sushi town.

No comments: