Friday, December 19, 2008

Day 9 - The Apple Pan

I've never had banana cream pie before. I've never really had cream pies. Period. I'm not even a pie person (except for Harvest Pie from Coco's, which unfortunately is not vegetarian!). I'm also not a whipped cream person. I just think of it as added fat I am not willing to do extra crunches for. OK, let's just say I'm a wee bit picky, but I digress, so let's get back to the goodness known as The Apple Pan.

10801 W Pico Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90064

I lived just down the street back when I had my apartment in WLA, oh what a luxury it was to be within walking distance of one of my all-time favorite desserts. This is a local treasure that's been around since 1947, according to Wikipedia. You bring CASH, and you stand in the little room hoping that there will be a free seat at the counter. That's all they've got - one L-shaped counter with high stools, and a team of men standing in back to serve you.

Parking: A tiny, tiny, TINY lot in back. There's some street parking, but be wary of parking signs. You can always park free at the Westside Pavilion across the street and walk on over.

Reservations: Ha! This is what you do: 1) You walk into the room 2) You scope out empty seats at the counter and sit down or 3) You stand in there inhaling burger smoke until someone else gets up.

Food: There's not much on the menu - just burgers, fries, potato salad and pie. Burgers are exactly what burgers ought to be - a fresh hunk of meat grilled to juicy perfection. I had the pleasure of having one before becoming a pescetarian, but sadly I would choose In-n-Out over the Apple Pan. So, I tell everyone to go for the pie! The banana cream pie, that is! It's around $20 for a pie, but that's because they make them from scratch everyday. The darn thing is heavy, it's so loaded with goodness. For a girl that's impartial to bananas, cream and pie to speak about a BANANA CREAM PIE, now that's telling you something.

No comments: